The Growers’ Network is aiming to build a dynamic economy around local food in Hull. The network is created to allow existing growers to exchange skills and inspire other members of the community to start growing produce, get outdoors and meet others. The network will enable Hull to plan as a city what is grown and how surplus produce is shared. It could for example, supplement non-perishable items supplied by food banks. In addition, the network will organise local skills exchanges and cooking sessions, with shared community meals.
Aims of the Food Growers Network
- Inspire more people to grow food, get outdoors, exercise and meet people.
- Support people to use locally grown produce to cook cheap, healthy meals.
- Share our skills, resources and labour across different sites, gardens and community kitchens (through the mechanism of timebanking) to increase the amount of local produce being grown and cooked.
- Plan as a city what we grow and how we share surplus produce. For example to supplement non-perishable items supplied by food banks.
- Facilitate regular food growing skills exchange sessions and cook and share community meals.
- Co-ordinate (with Food Growers Network Members), a Hull Seed Swap in the Spring and an even bigger and better Harvest Feast-ival in the autumn.
By matching skills/resources with ‘needs’ this network will facilitate reciprocal exchange across community growing and cooking projects.
Join our mailing list http://eepurl.com/bYiqJT